Do you really know what’s happening in your membership? What your members are truly interested in, or what topics make them tick? Can you easily see what events they have the attended in the past year, what their engagement levels are, and why they stay?
Most importantly, do you know how to use this kind of information to help improve member engagement and retention - and even new member sales?
Many associations and chambers of commerce abandon what I like to call “member discovery” because it’s just too much work, it’s not automated and - if their website isn’t integrated with their AMS - they find the data entry to be cumbersome. More often than not, even associations that are tracking this information are unsure of how to get this intelligence out of their membership management system and to use it to help them achieve their goals.
The result? Missed opportunities abound for demonstrating membership value and increasing engagement, retention and sales.
Here are a few things your team should consider tracking if you are not:
1. Reason(s) for joining
2. Their interests (business and personal)
3. Committees and groups they are interested in, or are participating on
4. The type and frequency of communication they’d like to receive
5. Business goals, what they are looking to achieve
6. Date their business started
7. What types of events they attend regularly
8. What, if any, events or programs they have sponsored
9. What other groups and organizations they are involved in outside of your organization
10. Their social media outlets
11. The top business categories getting the most activity on your online member directory
How do these things apply to membership value? With this type of information being collected regularly, your association is now able to:
- Create highly targeted communications to boost member engagement
- Provide opportunities for them to engage based on their specific interests
- Demonstrate that you have taken time to understand their interests and needs
- Show members what they’ve already invested in the organization (in terms of dollars)
- Share with members what they’ve received…and what’s in it for them!
- Show their participation at events, on committees, at workshops etc.
- Identify trends with individual or groups of members
- Show referrals and connections made between people
- Connect people based on activity, interests, and relationships
- Demonstrate value in your online directory in order to sell advertising and sponsorships
- Use data from your website activity to entice potential members to join
And so much more.
Member engagement reports, both at the organizational and individual level, that include most of these trackable items make it easy to demonstrate value throughout the year, resulting in higher retention at renewal time.
Member-based organizations today must take a proactive, ongoing approach to demonstrating membership value for engagement and retention. It all begins with effective tracking and then sharing of results. Knowledge is power!
With the right membership management system, your organization can easily track these details and use them to acquire, engage, and retain more members. But, it’s important that you find the system that will fit your organization’s unique needs. That’s why we put together the Buyer’s Guide: Selecting the Right Association Management System: Download a copy to learn how to identify key requirements, what to ask when searching for a system, and more!