Membership dues are a big part of your organization’s overall revenue stream. But in order to attract more members, it’s important to keep those membership dues down. Embracing non-dues revenue streams is a great way to keep membership dues down, while still bringing in the revenue you need to run your organization.
To help you get started, here are 13 non-dues revenue ideas for your association:
- Sell branded merchandise. This can be anything from t-shirts and bags to mugs and koozies.
- Rent out your office space. (If you have extra room, of course.)
- Ask companies within your industry to sponsor your organization. Associations, like your own, provide industries with value, so many companies are willing to form a partnership of some sort.
- Utilize online banner ads on your organization’s website.
- Offer ad space in your organization’s newsletter.
- Allow flyers to be placed in your new member welcome packets.
- Offer ad space on your organization’s mobile app (if you have one).
- Leverage your social media platforms - only if you have a strong following. You can offer several different advertising options as well as sponsored posts.
- Offer industry-related training programs or workshops. Members generally don’t mind paying a small fee for educational programs as long as there’s some level of value associated with them. (Think CAE credits.)
- Host an annual conference. In addition to charging your members for attendance, allow exhibitors to set up at your event and charge them for booth space. You can even offer a la carte sponsorship opportunities, such as educational sessions, coffee breaks, receptions, branded key cards, etc.
- Organize a lunch and learn. Again, as long as there’s some level of educational value here, members generally won’t mind paying a small fee.
- Offer certifications and/or accreditation programs. With the job market becoming increasingly competitive, members want to ensure they have the best credentials after their name - and they’re willing to pay for it.
- Ask for donations. If your organization has any kind of charitable component, donations can be a great source of non-dues revenue. All you have to do is ask!
Got those non-dues revenue juices flowing? See what other ideas we have in our free non-dues revenue guide below!