The good news: Holiday season is officially in full swing! The bad news: That can sometimes result in your members going somewhat to completely MIA.
But not to worry! We’ve got a few tips to help you engage your members even during the busy holiday season. Check ‘em out!
1. Send out a holiday email/e-card
This is a quick and easy way to engage your members during the holidays. As your members start to tune out towards the end of the year, a simple holiday greeting will 1) remind your members that you’re still around and looking forward to the new year, and 2) showcase your human side. After all, we’re all just people looking forward to a little time off with our closest friends and family.
Not sure what to include in your holiday email/e-card? A simple ‘Happy Holidays from our family to yours!’ or ‘Wishing you and your family the happiest of holidays!’ will do. You may want to include a nice graphic and one or two sentences about how great 2016 has been, but aside from that, the simpler, the better.
2. Get creative with social media
The holidays, in our opinion, are the BEST time to engage people on social media. You have endless room to get creative, plus, as people start to take time off, they have more time to spend on social media - a prime opportunity for your association.
Here are a few ideas to help you embrace seasonal social media:
- Add a festive cover photo to your organization’s Facebook page and/or Twitter account. (MemberClicks has a winter-themed cover photo up right now!)
- Post pictures of your office decorated for Christmas and/or your staff members sipping on hot chocolate. (Again, this showcases your human side, and that’s important to do from time to time.)
- Create a simple graphic wishing your members and followers the happiest of holidays. Here’s how MemberClicks did it for Thanksgiving. (Tip: Canva is a great tool to use for this!)
3. Celebrate your successes
You’ve put a lot of time and energy into 2016, and likely, so have your members (by attending your meetings and events, volunteering, taking online courses, etc.). That said, take some time to celebrate your good times and successes. Did you hit any milestones in 2016? Did you achieve any major goals or help push for/pass any major legislation? Celebrate that! Put together a quick video reel highlighting your best moments. Or, if you don’t feel comfortable with video just yet, put together a Facebook album titled “2016 Highlights” or “The Best of 2016.” This is a quick and easy to way to remind people of all the fun they had with your organization in 2016, and more importantly, get them pumped for 2017.
Want more tips for engaging your members year-round? Check out our free guide, Membership Engagement for Small-Staff Associations, below!