The beginning of the year is when you hear a lot about goals and resolutions. And those are exciting! They provide your association with hope and accountability, both of which are necessary for organizational success.
But you know what all goals and resolutions have in common? Change. They’re all centered around the desire to change. We set goals and resolutions because we want things to be different than they are now - and that’s good! It’s healthy.
So with that in mind, we put together nine little ways to help your association change and propel forward in 2017. Take a look!
- Thank your members - One of the best (and easiest) ways to make your association better is by making it a habit to thank your members regularly. Whether it’s on social media, after an event, prior to a volunteer opportunity, or all of the above, make a solid effort to thank your members for their presence and participation. (They WILL notice.)
- Be intentional - It’s easy to want to plow through things just to get them done. But if you really want to see an effect, it’s important to put some thought into those tasks. Don’t just post on social media just to post. Or blog just to blog. Think through those tasks and have a reason and strategy behind everything you do.
- Be personable - This will get you FAR. You know that saying, people buy from people? Well that applies to more than just sales. If people like you - and see you as a real person - they’ll engage with you, volunteer with/for you, advocate for you, etc. And that’s exactly what your association wants AND needs.
- Try new things - The best way to see change and move forward is to try new things. Once a month or once a quarter, make an effort to try something new. Whether it’s adding a new section to your newsletter or experimenting with a new type of meeting format, branch out. The only way to benefit from change is to embrace it.
- Establish one or two solid partnerships - Want to see your association’s efforts doubled? Try establishing one or two really solid partnerships. This could be with a local or relevant organization, or perhaps a local or relevant university. By working together, though, you’re bound to see your efforts (particularly in terms of marketing) intensify.
- Give yourself an online makeover - New year, new you, right? If you really want to see some change, make it happen - visibly! Give your website and/or social media sites a makeover. Update the copy as well as the images. Not only will you feel better, but your members (and potential members) will take notice.
- Give yourself time to BREATHE - Seriously! Burnout is REAL, and the only way to keep your thoughts and energy top-notch (and thus, produce your best work) is to give yourself a break. Now this may mean taking a half day every once in awhile or simply not working on your lunch break, but either way, make that downtime a priority.
- Let data drive your decision making - You have a lot of data at your fingertips, but are you using it? If you’re trying to get renewal rates up, have you looked at where people are renewing the most? Is it on a particular page of your website? At an event? Use those insights to make your association better.
- Have a little fun - Last but not least, have a little fun. If you’re having fun (on social media, at events, writing your organization’s newsletter, etc.) your members will notice that and they’ll start having fun. Be a proliferator of good times and good vibes, because at the end of the day, who doesn’t like that?!
With these tactics, we hope 2017 will be your best year yet. Want more concrete tactics for taking your association up a notch? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Membership Management below! It’s filled with best practices for membership recruitment, onboarding, engagement, retention, and more!