The expo floor at the ASAE Annual Meeting is open on Sunday and Monday from 10:00am to 1:30pm. It doesn’t seem like very much, or a very long amount of time, so we’re here to help you get the most out of your expo floor experience so you can have the best, most productive time at ASAE 2013.
Think of the expo floor like a grocery store. Do you start in produce and methodically navigate through the aisles in an orderly fashion? Do you make a list and stick to it, skipping all aisles and counters that don’t have the items you need? Do you sporadically wander around, doubling back and revisiting things you’ve already seen? There’s no wrong way to wander the expo.
For the orderly aisle navigator, the expo floor is divided into hospitality and technology/business services. As always, before you head to ASAE think about what you need to come away with to bring back to your association. Are you planning a big meeting and need to find the perfect venue? Then the hospitality side will have enough options to dazzle. If you haven’t been to a show like this before, the hospitality booths can be anything from travel and airfare and hotel groups to individual city CVBs. If you want to start offering hotel and travel perks to your members, this is where to go. The great thing about the expo floor is that you don’t have to do a lot of seeking. You will be found! Any of the friendly booth attendants will be more than happy to talk about the solutions you need.
On the other side is the business and technology solutions. That’s where you’ll find MemberClicks (Booth 424!) and a bunch of other companies like us that offer technology solutions to associations of all shapes and sizes. There will be AMS providers, like us, help with financing and billing, payment processors, marketing, retirement, reporting… just trust me. More than you can imagine. The business and technology solutions section will solve problems you didn’t know you had.
If you miss your connection on the expo floor, there’s always the Business Connections Lounge. If you miss your connection with us, there’s the Small Staff Lounge! Of course you can set up an appointment to talk here so it’s impossible to miss us. That information is here!
A few trade show floor tips:
1) Know what you want! Don’t get sucked into a conversation that isn’t very relevant to you at this time while you could be having a conversation that meets your needs.
2) Fuel up. The expo floor is open during lunch, so plan accordingly.
3) Carry an extra bag. There’s going to be swag, and lots of it. Everyone needs an extra pen/cup/cell phone holder, right?
4) Enter drawings. There are going to be a bunch of sweet giveaways, and who knows? You might get lucky and win something! Everyone needs an extra Kindle Fire, right?
5) Have special care for business cards you want to follow up on. You’ll get dozens. A few could be very valuable to you. Treat them all with care, but pay special attention to those important ones.
Compared to the learning sessions, the expo floor might seem like a tiny detail. But don’t underestimate it! Your expo floor experience could be just as good for your association’s health as any of the rest of the ASAE Annual Meeting and Expo.