There’s nothing like the energy of a newly engaged, charged up, and excited member. Maybe he or she just found the time to be involved. Maybe you have a new member. Or maybe your programming changed and a previously disconnected member is excited again. Either way, catching an engaged, energetic new member is like having lightning in a bottle. You don’t want to lose it!
First thing: Thank them. Then...
- Make sure their ideas are heard and responded to. Nothing will cause disengagement faster than the member thinking that nobody’s listening.
- Put them to work! Have some ideas in your pocket where they can volunteer and help out.
- Introduce them to other active members. Hopefully friendships and partnerships will form and the engagement will continue.
- Make sure they’re engaged with your AMS. For your members, your association management software is the first step in finding out what’s going on with your association and staying connected from home or work.
- Don’t say no. Even though every idea won’t be a diamond, take the time to point out the good qualities of the new members’ suggestions and explain why it’s not feasible. WHY is a lot more hopeful than NO and will help the member understand the parameters in which innovation is possible.
- Stay engaged yourself, or if you must step back hand the reins over to someone who can dedicate time to the association. Lead with an example of engagement and attention.
- Clue them in to the future direction of the association. There’s nothing quite as accepting as being “in the know” and a member armed with such information can help shape the future in a great direction.
- Finally, ask them for help. Seek referrals to their friends who also want to be engaged. Present opportunities and see how they nibble. One engaged member is the key to many more.
If you want some help managing your members, an AMS might be the right solution for you!
But what IS an AMS?