People start making a lot of promises at the end of the year. A lot of times they’re personal:
“I’m going to be good starting the first of the year. This is my last bowl of ice cream, I swear.”
“I’m going to take every networking opportunity I am presented in 2014! It’s okay if I skip the December event.”
But sometimes they’re promises we make to others:
“We’ll reevaluate that in the New Year.”
You’ve said it. It’s been said to you. So how do you make that statement that unfortunately often gets lost in the excitement at the start of the year stick?
Often it’s not a matter of a “brush off” but it genuinely is an oversight. When an idea that you need to address in January is proposed, set up a meeting about it right away. There are all kinds of added benefits to that plan.
1) It’ll serve as immediate validation for the person with whom you’re speaking. Not only did you actively hear the idea, but you want to discuss it further.
2) It’ll cause both you and the idea-proposer to further evaluate the idea itself. Sometimes, that may resolve issues, make either or both of you realize that the idea is unfeasible or a total winner.
3) If nothing else, it’ll be a reminder to address the issue.
So what happens if the shoe is on the other foot? You have an idea or issue that you would like to see addressed, and in these late December weeks it gets pushed off until the New Year here are some tips to make that proposal stick if you can’t get a meeting set right away.
1) Set a reminder for you to follow up. In other words, mark your own calendar!!
2) Mention it to someone else, like another staff member, another association member, or even on an AMS forum.
3) Get your ducks in a row before the pitch. In other words, make it impossible for them to look away.
Finally, whether you’re on the giving or receiving end of the good ‘ol “We’ll look at that after the New Year” don’t lose heart. January is an insane month! Everyone is focused, working hard, and then going to the gym to boot. If you don’t get it looked at in January, try again in February.
Looking for a space to collaborate? How about an AMS?