Yay! You have a team of volunteers on board and active! Now the question is, how do you keep them on board and active?
Well for starters, it’s important to remain engaged with them over time. Even if your volunteers haven’t volunteered in a while, be sure to keep the conversation going. You can easily do this by creating a volunteers-only social community. Post updates, new volunteer opportunities, and even a few thank you messages every so often. Which brings us to our next point…
When it comes to retention, it’s SO important to thank your volunteers and recognize their efforts. Remember, volunteers are under no obligation to continue sharing their time and talents. They continue because they want to and because they know their efforts are appreciated.
To let your volunteers know you appreciate them, why not…
- Send them a simple, handwritten thank you card.
- Feature them on your association’s website or blog.
- Nominate them for an award, such as “Volunteer of the Year.”
- Give them a small gift, such as a Starbucks gift card.
- Feed them. (Hey, everybody loves free food!)
- Give them a mug or t-shirt with your organization’s logo on it.
- Host a special volunteers-only event.
- Mention them on social media.
- Give them a shout out at your next member meeting.
- Endorse them on LinkedIn.
Trust us, showing appreciation will increase your volunteer retention rates, so don’t put this off!
If you’re having trouble getting volunteers in the first place, let us help. Check out our free Volunteer Guide below, where you’ll learn best practices for recruitment, onboarding, and even retention.