We talk a LOT about the importance of onboarding new members - and that all starts with sending a warm welcome email. But what should you say in that new member welcome email? Here are a few tips:
First things first. When drafting a new member welcome email, be sure to include the following:
- A personalized greeting - Remember, this person just PAID to be a part of your organization, so make them feel special and acknowledge them by name.
- A sincere thank you - Your members are the lifeblood of your organization, so thank them for that - ASAP!
- A list of or link to upcoming events - You want your new members to get involved as soon as possible, and this is a quick and easy way to get that ball rolling.
- A list of membership benefits - Remind your new members what their dues cover and encourage them to take advantage of your association’s many offerings.
- Contact information - Last but not least, be sure to include contact information so that your new members know who to reach out to should they have any questions.
Here’s an example of a new member welcome email:
Dear [new member’s name],
Thank you so much for becoming a member of [association’s name]! We’re thrilled to have you on board and can’t wait to get to know you.
To help you get involved, here are a few events we have planned over the next couple of months:
- [List upcoming events here]
You can view our full calendar of events at [link to website with event calendar].
In addition, we want to make sure you’re taking full advantage of all the membership benefits available:
- [List primary membership benefits, i.e. networking opportunities, access to members-only content, professional development opportunities, etc.]
Should you need any assistance or or have any questions or comments about your membership or benefits, please feel free to contact us at [phone number] or email us at [email address].
We look forward to seeing you at our next meeting!
[Your name/your association’s name]
Now new member welcome emails are only one part of the onboarding process. In addition to that, there are several best practices to help boost new member engagement, and ultimately, retention.
Want to know what those are? Check out our free Guide to Onboarding New Members below!