If your eyes roll (and your stomach drops) upon just READING that word, you’re not alone. Many people understand the importance of networking, but they still dread it.
We get that - and we’re here to help! If networking intimidates you and you’re never really sure what to ask/talk about, here are 20 questions to keep in your back pocket:
Questions about their job/career path
- What company/organization do you work for?
- What’s your specific position?
- How long have you worked there?
- How big is the company/organization you work for?
- Have you always worked in the XX industry?
- How did you get involved in the XX industry?
- What do you enjoy most about your current role?
- Do you have any exciting projects coming up?
Questions about the event
- Have you attended this event before?
- How did you hear about this event?
- Are you here with coworkers or did you come alone?
- What are you hoping to get out of this particular event?
- Or, what are you most excited about at today’s event?
- Have you ever heard of this speaker before?
- What other networking events/meetups do you like to attend/find valuable?
Other questions to ask
- Are you from the XX area?
- If it’s an event that required many people to travel, a good follow-up question could be “Have you been here before?”
- What do you like to do outside of work?
- Do you read much/do you have any good book recommendations?
- Or, if you’ve read a good book recently, “Have you ever read XYZ?”
- Would it be possible to grab one of your business cards?
- Are you on LinkedIn/do you mind if we connect?
- You’ve been so helpful! Is there anyone else here you think I should meet?
Want more tips for nailing your next networking event (or any conference in general, for that matter)? Check out our 2018 Conference Survival Guide below!