We LOVE a good benchmarking report, and fortunately for us, Informz just released a new one! That’s right. Just a few weeks ago, they unveiled the 2016 Association Email Marketing Benchmark Report.
The report includes a summary of email marketing metrics from nearly 2 billion emails sent in 2015 by associations located in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United Kingdom.
Below are just a few of the results we found particularly interesting:
- The average email metrics for associations include a 98% delivery rate, a 36% open rate, and a 16% click rate.
- Subject lines with less than 40 characters have open rates that exceeded the 2015 benchmark of 36%.
- Mobile usage of 41% surpassed desktop and web usage making mobile the most popular email client type.
- For the second consecutive year, emails sent during midday hours accounted for the largest percentage of emails sent as well as the highest click rates.
- Mobile readers engage with emails longer than desktop readers with 67% of mobile readers spending longer than 10 seconds.
- More than 57% of emails are read on iPhones or in Outlook. iPhones are easily the most popular device doubling the next closest email client.
The biggest takeaway for us here? Mobile is no longer “the future” - it’s NOW. Just take a look at that third bullet point. More people are opening emails on mobile devices than they are on traditional desktops. That’s HUGE. So as an association, you need to be sending mobile-friendly emails.
A few tips for making your emails mobile-friendly:
- Be clear and concise with copy and design
- Avoid using super tiny fonts
- Take it easy on the images (as those can sometimes be slower to load)
- Include a single, clear call-to-action
Want more tips for ensuring your association’s emails get opened? Check out our free Email Marketing Guide below!