Non-dues revenue. We read about it, we write about it, we talk about it. But are we doing enough to actually execute it? Are we reaching our full non-dues revenue potential?
Raising non-dues revenue is a tricky business. That’s why today, we’re exploring the basics. We’re going over what it is, why it’s a challenge, and where to start.
Ready? Let’s get started!
What it is:
Put simply, non-dues revenue (NDR) is any money made by an association outside of membership dues. It can come from advertising, sponsorships, certifications and/or training programs, etc.
Why it’s a challenge:
Raising non-dues revenue is a challenge for any organization, but it’s particularly challenging for small-staff organizations. Why, you ask? Well, small-staff organizations have limited time and resources. They may not have a training program or merchandise to sell. And on top of that, they may not have as many members to sell those offerings to.
That said, while raising non-dues revenue can be a challenge, it IS possible, regardless of your organization’s size. If you’re a small-staff organization, you may just have to get creative. You may have to repackage or enhance some of your existing offerings to a point where your members are willing to pay. But trust us, it CAN be done.
Where to start:
So, you’re ready to create a non-dues revenue strategy. Good for you! But where do you even begin?
Well, here are a few ideas:
- Utilize banner ads on your organization’s website.
- Offer ad space in your organization’s newsletter.
- Allow flyers to be placed in your new member welcome packets.
- Rent out your office space. (If you have extra room, of course.)
- Ask companies within your industry to sponsor your organization. Associations, like your own, provide industries with value, so many companies are willing to form a partnership of some sort.
- Leverage your social media platforms - but only if you have a strong following. If you do, you can offer several different advertising options as well as sponsored posts.
- Host a webinar. If it’s educational in nature, many members won’t mind paying a small fee.
- Ask for donations. If your organization has any kind of charitable component, donations can be a great source of non-dues revenue. All you have to do is ask!
Remember, when it comes to non-dues revenue, you’re only as limited as your imagination. So get creative, association pros!
Want more tips for raising non-dues revenue? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Non-Dues Revenue below!